It doesn’t matter how healthy your hair is: all hair types are susceptible to damage. Daily agressions affect our hair structure, and as a result it tends to get drier and frizzy. That is why hair care is so important: by practicing it, we repair damage and also prevent it.
If you want to begin a hair care routine but know nothing about it, don’t worry: we will teach you. This article is about to explain in detail everything on the most important hair care products: the hair mask. Let’s get started.
First of all, what is a hair mask?
A hair mask is like an intense and deeper conditioner. It works as a treatment to strengthen hair and make it shiny and soft.
How does it work?
Its rich concentration fills in the gaps of the hair cuticles. As a result, the appearance and texture of the locks gets way better.
Hair masks provide several benefits, such as:
- Extra shine
- Silky touch
- Breakage reduction
- Damage reduction
- Frizz reduction
- Damage prevention
- Split ends reduction
- Stronger hair
- Healthier scalp
How to choose the right hair mask
If you are wondering which hair types actually need hair masks, the answer is: all of them! All types of strands can be benefited by this product and there are hair masks for all of them.
If you are not sure which mask to buy, here are some helpful recommendations:
- Dry and damaged strands: masks with nourishing properties
- Curls: oils and plants extracts
- Greasy scalp: clay masks
- Dyed and chemically treated strands: masks with restorative ingredients, such as protein
How to apply it
This may seem really easy, but it is essential to apply the product the right way to achieve the best results possible.
The first step is to shampoo the hair as usual. Right after it, remove the excess water with a towel. Divide hair into strands and apply the product along the length of the hair, massaging it with your fingers.
Leave it on for the time recommended by the manufacturer and then rinse it normally. After removing the mask, you can apply regular conditioner if you feel the need. It is up to you.
- Before applying it, always wash your hair with shampoo and never apply the mask to dry or dirty hair.
- Always remove the excess of water with a towel before applying a hair mask. Fully wet hair absorbs less product than it should.
- Some masks can be applied directly on the scalp. Some masks are especially made for that. And some other masks are absolutely prohibited from applying to the scalp. In the last case, the wrong use can cause excessive oiliness and even dandruff. To avoid this problem, always read the manufacturer’s recommendations. However, if you have greasy hair, avoid using it on your scalp at all cost: it can aggravate this issue.
How often should I apply a hair mask?
Depends on your hair needs. Some people say every time we wash our hair, some others apply it only monthly. In general, once a week is the best frequency in most cases.
Now that you’ve learned everything about this amazing product, it is time to practice your hair care routine!
Take a look at Metro Brazil’s website to find the best authentic Brazilian hair masks.
Did you like this article? Share it with your friends and follow us on social media!